The Bucket Test
Our Highly Trained Leak Detection Technicians Are Here for You!
At Australian Leak Detection™, our highly trained leak detection specialists understand that detecting a leak can usually be impossible to detect without the proper tools and expertise. We also understand that it’s hard to find a team you can trust to provide you with honest opinions and advice for a leak that you aren’t even sure you have.
In order to put your mind at ease, we can show you how to perform a leak detection test for your pool. This can help you determine if the water loss in your pool is because of a leak or evaporation.
How to Conduct the Bucket Test
- First, make sure your pool is filled to its normal level.
- Fill a bucket with pool water, leaving about 3 cm from the top
- Leave the bucket on the first step of your pool
- Mark the water level on the inside of the bucket
- Shut off your pool pump
- Mark the water level both inside and outside of the bucket.
- Turn your pump back on so it can continue operating normally
- Compare both levels after 24 hours have passed
If the pool water level that’s indicated by the mark on the outside of the bucket is lower than the water level indicated by the mark on the inside of the bucket, you most likely have a leak on your hands. Feel free to perform the test again if you feel that it’s necessary. Keep in mind that the test is no longer valid if it rains or the water levels are checked after a 24-hour period.
Contact us at to learn more about the bucket test and whether it’s time to schedule a leak detection service with our experienced professionals. You’ll be glad you did!